July 18, 2019, 07:43:51 AM

Author Topic: Toy's n' That....  (Read 35324 times)

Offline osjclatchford

• Loc: chigwell, essex, uk
Re: Toy's n' That....
« Reply #315 on: July 01, 2019, 07:50:25 PM »
It's truly a shame that 3d print is slowly(?) replacing real talent like yours lordb. But it will never truly. I get the whole "fugly print lines" thing as they are not only annoying but also systemic. Meaning even if you physically file or sand them smooth they are in each successive layer. And due to the unpredictable and unstable nature of the various mediums I've known said print lines to grow back. Yes you read that right GROW back. Like white crusty crystal formations. Oftimes a good paintjob will prevent this. But if left unpainted for a lengthy time a shapeways fud model will be covered in this all over. Also sometimes after painting the model can become oily and shiny even through the paint. Some of my fud printed prows and ships have gone this way inside a storage case... Sad...

Yeah that won't happen to these as they are recasts but. Yeah that's one savage miscast isn't it. Mine were BAD. It's well hidden in his pics... But you know seven quid, two ships and I personally love the design. Oversized or not... Just put them further away? Lol!
2017 Droppod Studios -  A subsidiary of the OSJC

Offline Ragsta

• Loc: Edinburgh
« Reply #316 on: July 02, 2019, 04:53:41 PM »

I prefer the prow you ended up with on that grand cruiser for sure.

I do love a good scratchbuild personally - one day Iíll start a thread here and share my schtuff. 3D printing has itís place but for now Iíll stuck with the old school (particularly Vanguard once they get round to a few other models).

RT kitbash shaping up nicely, keep me in the loop when you start selling prows as conversion bits  ;)

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #317 on: July 02, 2019, 09:40:01 PM »
Which is a shame in a way, scratch building and sculpting skills could well be lost in the future :( Hell, even hand writing is a lost art nowadays!

Someone told me it was called "evolution"...

I don't think sratchbuild will ever be lost. It's just not the same thing.

And from my point of view, 3D files design IS an artistic and creative hobby. As much as scratchbuild. A different way, but still creation. Check what Malika is doing and you will see what i mean.