September 21, 2019, 01:51:12 AM

Author Topic: Araby (Pugwash)  (Read 8824 times)

Offline Pugwash

• Warmaster Downunder
Araby (Pugwash)
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:15:26 PM »
Army prior to the tale...

Spearmen 1/4

Back View

Spearmen 2/4

Spearmen 3/4

Spearmen 4/4

All Spearmen
Warmaster Downunder (http://warmasterdownunder.blogspot.com/)- My Armies, Painting and Battle Reports.  Find a Warmaster opponent in Australia and New Zealand

Offline yamaneko

• Gold Box Standard
    • Under the Mountain
Re: Araby (Pugwash)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 01:56:39 AM »
Very nice.  I'm looking forward to seeing more.

READ THE RULES FOR THIS FORUM !!  DONT POST IN THE GALLERY THREADS!!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 07:49:38 AM by Lex »

Offline Pugwash

• Warmaster Downunder
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 02:17:24 AM »
Thanks for the comment yamaneko, although better to post in the discussion thread.

Guards 1/2

Guards 2/2

All Guards
Warmaster Downunder (http://warmasterdownunder.blogspot.com/)- My Armies, Painting and Battle Reports.  Find a Warmaster opponent in Australia and New Zealand

Offline Pugwash

• Warmaster Downunder
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 06:55:04 AM »
Archers 1/4

Offline Pugwash

• Warmaster Downunder
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 03:13:30 AM »
I won't bother posting each individual unit of archers; here they are together

Archers 4/4

Knights 1/8

Offline MrMarkRelf

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 11:08:26 AM »
Pugwash,

First posting on the forum so hope I have not breached any etiquette rules.

Love your figures, I am in the first stage of painting my Araby army and yours gave me some great inspiration.

Having just finished a 3000pt Brettonian army - never painting heraldry on knights again !  I am now spending some more time planning the colour throughout the army.

One challenge I found with the Brettonians was to produce a "cohesive" look throughout the army yet be able to differentiate between the units when on the battlefield.  Any tips for that from your experience?  I

Also your banners look fantastic, did you do them free hand or transfers - if freehand where did you get the arabic script from?

Is there a tale of gamers starting in Jan 2010 ?

Offline David Wasilewski

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 09:36:38 AM »
Hello Mr Mark Relf!

Welcome to the Forum - only joined a short while ago myself!

If you join in with your stage by stage Araby and are willing to take pictures of my Empire work in progress as you periodically come round to mine to be crushed at Warmaster then I will throw down the painting gauntlet. SLAP.

Also have just found out in another thread that the 2009 errata state that Araby Heros are 2 per thousand points, not one!

I like the black on these as it gives a very strong contrast colour opportunity? Could black/white, black/red, black/turqoise and black/purple be the way to go?

Dave Vos

Offline MrMarkRelf

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 05:34:38 AM »
Sorry,  I stepped on your gauntlet.

Yes I accept, the Araby are in prep. After a lot of hand wringing (I always was the eternal procrastrinator) - I am ready.

How about a Feb start (prep of units till then?) - then 1 unit a week ?

Slight digression, I tried out the Army Builder undercoat (Red LeatherI think) on my Brettonian Peasants.  Followed by a drybrush of bleached bone, Tallarn flesh on all the body bits. A scattering of green hoods/tops etc to break it up.  Weapon shafts were the standard snakbite leather plus a highlight.  Chainmail for the obvious bits.

Whole thing dipped, looks brilliant - well for commoner scum, who don't count toward my break points.

With 10 units (i.e. 30 stands to paint) it seems the way to go - I estimate I can do a stand in  30mins.

Comparing them to the units that I paint in my more "traditional" build it up approach, there is very little differene, if anything they look a lot better.  I will upload photos when I get a chance.

Offline David Wasilewski

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 07:44:38 PM »
Great - bring them round tommorrow if you can.
I am cracking on with my Empire - done the red stage on half of the crossbowmen puff, pant, wheeze. Hope to have them all finished by Feb so I will be ready to start the last of the infantry for my 3K list (3 units of flaggelants).

I intend to do araby after the empire. I am thinking black robes with some cream and gold as my colour scheme?

Dave

Offline Pugwash

• Warmaster Downunder
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 08:31:16 AM »
So, after a considerable delay caused (in part) by international relocations, I'm back in the saddle again, trying to get this army finished.  Given there is another painting challenge in progress, I won't post my pictures here, but just link to my blog where I've been updating:

http://warmasterdownunder.blogspot.com/2009/09/warmaster-armies-araby.html

Also; Hi MrMarkRelf, sorry for the time lag in reply.  In pratice I found that there was no real difficulty in keeping units distinct in combat, so long as the banners are unique, so I stopped trying to make each and every unit individual. The banners for this army are done with photocopied transfers glued to banners, then the surrounds are painted in a matched colour and the whole lot gets a protective coat of varnish.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 08:40:58 AM by Pugwash »

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Loc: Bergen op Zoom, Netherlands
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 08:58:37 AM »
Blog added to the Muster

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 11:09:19 AM »
Wow beatiful army!!

love the cavalry

Offline Pugwash

• Warmaster Downunder
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 11:28:32 AM »
And done.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:32:20 AM by Pugwash »

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Loc: Bergen op Zoom, Netherlands
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 11:47:19 AM »
Great work !  I like the red edges on what I guess are FoW command-team stands ?

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 11:51:46 AM »
Wow Is always a pleasure seeing a project succed, and also I think a satisfaction for you (and opponent player) :) Congratulations